Deciding your face shape is not actually a science, as most of us fall somewhere in between the major categories, but if you try to have a great suggestion of your overall face shape, you can then pick correspondingly and, at the very least, avoid major mistakes.
Understanding your general face shape could really help you select not only the right texture and hairstyle but also the best glasses and makeup for you. There are methods to determine your face shape. The first one is an overall outline, which most of us really have to know. The second way is a much more scientific process for those of you who want to be more accurate.
When understanding your face shape, you could really better understand how makeup placing can produce various impacts. Now, let’s go through the six most popular face shapes.
The 6 Most Popular Face Shapes
Generally speaking, there are six various face shapes as follows:
Oval Face Shape
In a vertical direction, oval faces are correspondingly rounded and longer than they really are broad. Oval-faced people usually have a round chin and jawline. The broadest part of an oval face is generally the brow.
Round Face Shape
Round faces typically have soft and short features, as well as a wide hairline. A round face’s cheekbones are usually the broadest part, and the jawline and forehead tend to share the same width.
Square Face Shape
A broad hairline and a strong, elongated jawline best describe square faces. For this facial structure, the jawline, cheekbones, and forehead typically share the same width. Besides, this face shape is both long and wide.
Rectangle Face Shape
The rectangle face shape is a variant of the square face shape. Generally speaking, this oblong face shape tends to be longer than it is broad. In particular, the jawline, cheekbones, and forehead are all roughly the same width.
Heart Face Shape
Heart face shapes are distinguished by a soft, narrow chin, resembling the idea of a heart (thus its name). This face shape is frequently characterized by a pointed hairline. Furthermore, the cheekbones are the most prominent feature of this face shape.
Diamond Face Shape
The diamond face shape is a heart-shaped variant. This face shape is defined by high cheekbones and a pointy chin. Generally speaking, diamond face shapes tend to have a narrow forehead as well.
Why Is It Important To Understand Your Face Shape?
Knowing your face shape allows you to experiment with dimension:
- You are aware of which features of your face should be highlighted. Once you have identified your face shape, you will be able to determine which areas of your face could benefit from a little bit more “pop” to help you glow. For example, if you have a round face, you could really highlight your bone structure by applying makeup relatively higher up on your cheekbones.
- You’re aware of which features of your face should be minimized. Knowing the shape of your face can also help you decide which features to highlight. If you have a square jaw, for example, contouring makeup could really help to tone down the edges and generate more roundness.
- You have the option of selecting the best hairstyle. Your hairstyle can have a big impact on how you highlight your face. If you are having difficulty determining a hairstyle that flatters your face shape, take into account determining your face shape. Understanding your face shape will assist you in determining the best hairstyles for your characteristics. A fast online search or discussion with a professional stylist can assist you in selecting the appropriate cut.
How To Determine Your Face Shape
It is simple to determine your face shape. Just pull your hair away from your face before you begin so that it is not in the way. Here are the three simple steps to help you determine your face shape.
- Look for the broadest part of your face. Examine yourself in the mirror and determine which part of your face is the broadest (you can do this on your own by sight or use a versatile measuring tape). Your face is oval if your forehead is broad. However, if the widest part of your face is your cheekbones, you are more likely to have either a heart face shape or a round face shape. And if your face appears equally proportioned in thickness, you have a square face shape.
- Determine your jaw’s shape. Your face shape could also be determined by the shape of your jawline. In particular, if your jawline is rounder or short, you have a round face shape. But if your jawline is narrow and pointy, you are more likely to have a heart face shape. Your face is square if your jawline is strong and has sharp edges.
- Take a look at the width and length of your face. If you are still not sure about your face shape, compare the width and length of your face. Take a measurement from your hairline to the edge of your chin. After that, measure from the right to the left side of your face. You are more likely to have an oval face shape if you find your face longer than it is broad. But if your face tends to be broader than it is long, you might have a heart face shape. Those who have a rectangle face shape if their face is around 2 times longer than it is broad. People have a square face shape or diamond face shape if their faces share the same width and length.